According to Forbes magazine in the US, from June 1, 2007 to June 1, 2008 the top ten earning authors pulled in a combined $563 million dollars among them. It's no surprise that J.K. Rowling accounted for 60% of that, a sum that is likely to fall off somewhat in next year's list considering she's now finished with Harry Potter, but I wonder when Vampire scribe Stephenie Meyer will make the list.
Next year perhaps...
They top ten earners, in order of appearance, are:
1. J.K. Rowling, $300 million
2. James Patterson, $50 million
3. Stephen King, $45 million
4. Tom Clancy, $35 million
5. Danielle Steel, $30 million
6. John Grisham, $25 million
6. Dean Koontz, $25 million
8. Ken Follett, $20 million
9. Janet Evanovich, $17 million
10. Nicholas Sparks, $16 million