Monday, January 19, 2009

Taken too early

The death of Random House Group MD Peter Bowron at the weekend, at the age of 40, is so sad. While I won’t pretend that Peter was a close friend, he was someone I dealt with a lot during my long years at Publishing News, and I like to think that we had a warm relationship. I always found him unfailingly helpful and witty. He wouldn’t mind taking the time to explain a complicated issue, and he was generous with off-the-record briefings, managing to steer that difficult line between revelation and discretion. He was also a keen tennis player – we used to swap stories – and he was always the figure you liked to see approaching when you were at the bar at a conference somewhere. You knew that good company was about to arrive.

In short, to use that time-honoured, quintessentially English (and Australian) phrase, he was a good bloke – and they can sometimes be hard to find the higher you go in companies. My thoughts go out to his wife, the publisher Clare Ledingham, and their three children.

No comments: